NLSA Molson Challenge Cup



Monday, July 14, 2008

Masters Soccer - Coast 101.1 FM http://www.coast1011.com/index.php by Gord Dunphy


Masters Soccer Team Coast 101/Labatt's
http://www.coast1011.com/index.php


Having a kick!!

Master Soccer in St John's is well underway and I must add, it is a very good league. Most teams are fairly competitive but once you get over the age of 35 and decide to play, masters soccer for me is more about the fitness, player togetherness and having a few cold ones with the boys after the game. Now that both myself and my wife Jocelyn are settled in here in St. John's and I'm finished teaching at CONA for the summer , I 've decided to join the masters league for the summer. I've joined the Coast 101/Labatt's team. This team is not all about championships, they work hard and are a great bunch of fellows to play with. No superstars here mind you, mostly a group of good buddies out for a kick.
The amazing thing was when I played my first game last week against Holy Cross I met Johnny Breen at center field, prior to the game, and chatted with him for awhile. In 1974, Johnny Breen played for Brother Rice and I played high school with St.Lawrence, that's 34 years ago. The next game I played was against Mount Pearl, who has Pat Brake, Pat Byrne, and Phil Molloy from St.Lawrence on their roster. Actually,I coached and played with both Phil Molloy and Pat Byrne for years in St.Lawrence. Now these fellows have grown and become good respectable adults. Time does evade us even if we don't realize it.
In today's contest against the Feildians, they had Patty Kennedy donning the double blue colors and certainly a potential future Hall of Famer. Matt Edwards, a former Lawn Shamrock player, also played with the Feildians. I guess when all is said and done, one certainly realizes the value that sport has on one's life and the friendships that you create along the way lasts a lifetime. You may have noticed that I never mentioned any scores. At this point, for me, the score at the masters level are irrelevant but I must add, "I'ts enjoyable again just having a kick"

Master Standings - REGULAR SEASON


Duke of Duckworth/Molson - 7 games played - 6 wins -1 loss = 18 points

Mount Pearl/Rosie OGrady's - 6 games played - 5 wins - 1 loos = 15 points

Holy Cross/The Keg - 7 games played - 3 wins - 2 losses - 2 ties = 11 points

Conception Bay South - 7 games played - 3 wins - 4 losses = 9 points

Coast 101/Labatt's - 6 games played - 2 wins - 3 losses - 1 tie = 7 points

Feildians - 8 games played - 2 wins - 5 losses - 1 tie = 7 points

Air Labrador/Cooper Heating - 7 games played - 1 win - 6 losses = 3 points

Updated July 10, 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment