NLSA Molson Challenge Cup



Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Season's Greetings - Gord Dunphy


Season's Greetings


As the newly elected VP of Newfoundland and Labrador Soccer Association, I would like to join with Doug and wish everyone a Merry Christmas. My goal for the next couple of years is to work very closely with the NLSA President Doug Redmond, to grow Senior Men's Soccer and move senior soccer forward. In my opinion Doug Redmond is the hardest working volunteer in our province and I welcome the opportunity to work with him under his leadership.

I have a number of ideas that I will be bringing to the NLSA Executive in the New Year. These ideas, no doubt, will generate discussion and debate but in order for our program to move forward, we definitely need changes.

This past year, with only 4 clubs competing for the Provincial Challenge Cup Championship was an all time low for soccer. So obviously something's gotta change. Clubs must be more open minded and become more flexible. I'm hoping to lead the way in these categories. My intentions this season is start growing and show-casing our sport and bring Challenge Cup games to areas of the province that have never ever witnessed Challenge Cup soccer before, namely: Grand Falls, Gander and Clarenville.

I will also be working very closely with both the Intermediate and Masters Leagues and giving those leagues the respect they deserve. We cannot grow our program without having a successful intermediate league and showing respect to the intermediate players.

Our masters players are, in most cases, the players`that have made the sport of soccer what it is today and they are to be commended for that. Hopefully, we can have a competitive and a non-competitive division playing in the Provincial Tournament. The teams that wish to play and represent the province at the Eastern Canadian Championship would play in the competitive division only.

Another potential area for growth is provincial indoor soccer with the new Breen indoor soccer facility. So basically we will have to wait and see here.

I will be giving the referees the utmost respect and hopefully this feeling will translate to an increasing number of new officials to the game.

With the cooperation of players, fans and the governing body of Provincial soccer,we are in the position to see the growth of soccer in our province.

On behalf of myself and my family, I wish each of you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Gord Dunphy
Vice President - Senior Men's
Newfoundland and Labrador Soccer Association

No comments:

Post a Comment