NLSA Molson Challenge Cup



Thursday, June 2, 2016

Meet Bob Lenarduzzi

(L-R) Bob Lenarduzzi

Bob Lenarduzzi -  Canada's Greatest Soccer Ambassador.

At the NLSA Partnership signing I had the honor of meeting Bob Lenarduzzi . Bob is currently the president of the Vancouver Whitecaps. He was a former North American Soccer Star who played as a defender. He played from 1974 to 1984 with his hometown Whitecaps and is the all-time leader in games played with 312. He is the only Canadian to win North American Soccer League Player of the Year Award. Internationally , he represented Canada 47 times. As a player/coach ,he won four straight Canadian Soccer League Championhips and was twice named CSL Coach of the year. After his playing/coaching days he went on to coach the Canadian National and Olympic soccer teams. 
After his brief introduction at the " NLSA Partnership Deal" he spoke about playing in St. John's in 1985 when Canada last qualified for the World Cup. He vividly recalled about NLSA's Angus Barrett being on the CSA Board of Directors at that time.  Myself, I had the opportunity to have a  great chat with Bob. We sort of drifted around talking about everything, not necessary all soccer.  He asked me about Newfoundland being referred to as  the Rock,  I explained to him why we come from the "Rock". I told him that now we are officially Newfoundland and Labrador and don't forget when your speaking and I did noticed  whenever both him and his brother referred to our association, it was always the Newfoundland and Labrador Soccer Association. I chatted to him about when we , the Laurentians, played in Chilliwack in 1999 and we won bronze. I also told him about my visit to Surrey BC. I had brief chat with him about my spinal surgery. All in all, he really came across as a descent guy. For me personally, I would have to say Bob Lenarduzzi is a Canadian soccer legend, a very distinguished gentleman , a person who I consider as  Canada's Greatest Soccer Ambassador.

No comments:

Post a Comment